The University of NSW and OpenLearning are among the organisations offering free online courses for business people.
In the weeks since BRWfirst highlighted a number of free online courses for entrepreneurs, the subject has jumped to prominence in Australia.
Driving the sudden attention are the University of Melbourne and the University of Queensland, which have both recently announced new pushes to make course material available on line.
In the case of UQ, the uni is teaming up with global heavyweight the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, while the University of Melbourne is making some of its courses available free online through Coursera.
Coursera is one of three prominent international online hubs for free online university courses, which give people around the world the opportunity to complete course work offered by leading institutions, although participants do not earn a qualification.
Locally, OpenLearning and the University of NSW have also been working on trials ahead of the imminent launch of some free online courses, including one targeted at business owners. To that end, here are more free online courses for entrepreneurs from OpenLearning and Coursera:
- Services Marketing – Selling the Invisible
– Course description: Services marketing is different from traditional product marketing and this course will introduce you to the distinctive characteristics of services and how they affect both customer behaviour and marketing strategy. You will learn how to create and evaluate a service environment that is both functional and enhances the experience of the consumer. Starts October 15. Offered through www.openlearning.com
- Grow to Greatness: Smart Growth for Private Businesses, Part 1
– Course description: “Most entrepreneurship courses focus on how to start a business. Few focus on the next big entrepreneurial inflection point: how do you successfully grow an existing private business? This is the focus of this Course. It is based on the instructor’s research and thirty years of real-world experience advising private growth companies.” Starts January 28. Offered through www.coursera.org
- Developing Innovative Ideas for New Companies
– Course description: “Using proven content, methods, and models for new venture opportunity assessment and analysis, students will learn two key skills: (1) how to use a business model approach to analyse each part of a company, and (2) a customer development orientation to see if anyone really wants the product.” Starts January 28. Offered through www.coursera.org
- Introduction to Finance
– Course description: “This course is primarily devoted to the fundamental principles of valuation. We will learn and apply the concepts of time value of money and risk to understand the major determinants of value creation. We will use both theory and real world examples to demonstrate how to value any asset.” Start date to be announced. Offered through www.coursera.org
- Principles of Macroeconomics
– Course description: “In this course, we will examine the main bodies of economic theory that have been used to guide economists’ and policy makers’ understanding of the macroeconomy ... We will cover important macroeconomic concepts such as the national accounts, unemployment and inflation, explain how the ideas associated with John Maynard Keynes laid the foundation for governments’ active management of the macroeconomy in the post war era, and examine the intellectual basis for the monetary and fiscal policy responses to the Global Financial Crisis. Start date to be announced. Offered through www.coursera.org
- Microeconomics Principles
– Course description: “Introduction to the functions of individual decision-makers, both consumers and producers, within the larger economic system. Primary emphasis on the nature and functions of product markets, the theory of the firm under varying conditions of competition and monopoly, and the role of government in promoting efficiency in the economy.” Start date to be announced. Offered through www.coursera.org
MORE TIPS FOR ENTREPRENEURS: